Monday, December 22, 2008

Welcome Marcia to a real small Spanish village

Seasons greetings everyone. I hope everyone is safe, happy and enjoying the holiday season. I know it is snowing like no other in Seattle.. and I hope this finds everyone somewhat warm... hopefully. I won't tell you about how nice the weather has been here...

Okay, Since Marcia has been here, Ally has been doing a great job showing her what there is to to do around this small province. However, on Monday we decided to head to Bollullos... I don't know why... probably to visit Concha and her family, and also give myself a chance to really see Bollullos. We took the train to La Palma, where Concha picked us up. I had specifically been told by people that Bollullos is known for wine... so obviously we all thought it'd be cool to go to a vineyard to taste wine. Although I'm not a wine drinker, I've seen my share of movies, and wine tasting seems so cool. You go to a place where there's lots of grapes and lots of land. I also imagined lots of round barrels of wine, and possibly being able to smash some grapes with your toes or something like that. I should have know that Bollullos wine tasting was nothing like that. Concha dropped us off on a street where she said there are lots of places to taste wine and eat food... let's just say there was not one grape in sight, it was a whole bunch of restaurants with lots of wines... we were quite disappointed. But we did end up going into a real winery, and trying 3 different types of wine... I'm just going to say... I still don't get all the fuss about Bollullos wine, but I'm open to trying others... maybe we just got unlucky.

Switching to plan B, which was walking around Bollullos and seeing what it had to offer. Before doing this we had to make a quick pit stop to one of the most famous things in Bollullos... Mercadona... there we loaded up on our snacks and sat down in a really nice park. For being such a small village, I have to admit the park was pretty nice... it reminded me of many parks i've visited such as the one in Cadiz, and Sevilla it was a little mix of many parks. There were some plants, mazes, water fountains... everything you needed for a nice park. We sat in the park ate some sandwiches and did a mini photo shoot.

After that we wandered the streets of Bollullos, and arrived at Nia's house. I've told Ally how nice it is and she wanted to see. Luckily Nate was home and he gave us a tour, and made Ally and I both jealous that our piso is the size of their terrace, but we do have one up on them... we live in Huelva and they live in Bollullos. :) After that we continued our walk around the village, which I'm going to say is not very big. It is however very "movie-set" like, the buildings are mainly white, the streets are small, and there is a calmness about the city which I do like. We happened to see this girl riding her horse down the street... i guess that saves on gas right? As much as I joke about Bollullos, it is a very peaceful place, the people are very nice, and it does have its own charm.

Our tour continued on towards the main street, where we saw some of the stores that sold the best "Bollullos" style... I'm sad to announce that Ally, Marcia and I, the best shopping trio ever assembled, made it out of Bollullos without buying ANYTHING! We ended our tour with a trip to the culture center, where an exhibition was on display of old doll houses, dolls, toys, and film things. It was kinda random, but interesting. There was also a Belen which was beautiful... but i don't understand why we couldn't see it from a 360 degree view.... it was really nice... and there was like a light limit too, because after ten minutes the lights got dark and you couldn't see anything.

After the cultural center we made our way to Concha's house. Unfortunately my camera was low on battery and Ally had forgotten her camera in the piso, so I don't have any pictures to show you of the marvel that is Concha's house. It is incredibly big, and super Spanish, but I love it. It has terraces, offices, high ceilings, beautiful tiles... everything that makes one person jealous. They should just adopt me. As Ally and Marcia got the grand tour of the house, I set to work on making spring rolls with Maria. She is incredibly cute and loves to help out. Cooking was fun and once again, I had brought tooooooo much food... I get that from my mom. We sat down to eat with Concha, her husband (Jose), her son (Ignacio), and Maria. It was a nice dinner, with lots of food, laughs and conversation. It was also the first time I really heard Concha speak english, and her english is AMAZING. It's probably the best english from a spanish english teacher I've heard in Spain. Her accent is so cute... it's so proper.

After the meal, Maria thought it'd be a good idea to show us all the toys she has... let's just say her and Barbie are good friends, and she probably has every Barbie ever created. She even has a pregnant Barbie that comes with a detachable belly... things these people come up with. At the end of the night, Jose and Ignacio drove us back to Huelva.

All in all it was a great dinner, and a great day in Bollullos. Although small and quiet, it houses some of the nicest Spanish people I've ever met, and definitely the most beautiful Spanish house I've been in. Ally and I look forward to seeing more of Concha and her family, they have already offered to be our friends... so it's okay if we bother them now. :)

As this comes to an end... I wish everyone a very happy holidays. I miss you guys terribly but am happy and safe.

Hugs and kisses,
Ngoc :)

No comments: