Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Granada... my future home?

After Christmas Ally, Marcia and I made the trip to Granada. It had been 2 years since I´ve been back to Granada, and in these two years I´ve thought about what it would be like to be back to this city. When we arrived, I was hit with the feeling that I never wanted to leave. I don´t know what it is about this city that just makes me want to stay here. It´s not incredibly big, there is nothing super spectacular, but it´s atmosphere is attractive, and it makes me want to stay.

However, it was FREEZING, it made Huelva seem hot. Our hostal was more or less in Plaza Nueva which made it easy for us to get around, walking around the city made it feel like we never left. Granada, is just sooo much prettier than Huelva. I was able to see all of my Granadian friends besides Jose who happened to be in the States. Ally, Marcia and I went to the Alhambra, it was my 3rd time there, and although it is a beautiful place, it´s safe to say that I´m Alhambra´d out. If I don´t see it again for the next 5-10 years, I think I´ll survive. Also the lion fountain wasn´t there... and that was really disappointing since we waited all day for it. I took soooo many pictures... and I don´t even know why. Things like this are impossible to capture in photos, and I don´t know what I´m going to do with them later.

After walking all day looking at the alhambra, we took a walking tour of Granada, guided by Luis and his brother JoseMa. It was really nice to learn about all the buildings and some of the history of the city. Now I feel like I´ve walked most of Granada... and my legs were sore enough to prove it.

My favorite thing about the trip was being able to see my friends. For some reason I feel that i made better friends in Granada than I have in Huelva. Going out with them was so much more fun... and of course free tapas doesn´t. Also there just seems to be more to do, and the music is definitely better. All the time I was there I didn´t want to leave, and thought about much different my experience would be if I was in Granada instead of Huelva. I know that´s not a good attitude, but that was how I felt.

Our last full day in Granada, we went to the Sierra Nevadas... it was cold. It was a nice little skiing/snowboarding place.. and we didn´t have any gear, but next time we´ll be ready. It was a little hazy which sucked, but it was beautiful. It was like I was in Seattle, because there was soooo much snow. I thought I´d never see snow in Spain, but there is snow.

When it was time to leave Granada... I was sad, and Ally and I fantasized what it´d be like to move back to Granada and live in our old piso in Calle Molinos... with the HUGE shower, and the air conditioning/heating... that would be the life. Now we just have to figure out how to get there...

wishing everyone a happy holidays and a wonderful new year!

Con mucho carino,
Ngoc :)

No comments: