Sunday, February 1, 2009

Which is your team?


Everyone knows that outside of the US, football means something totally different. There's no pads, no really big guys slamming each other, and definitely no "un necessary roughness" calls. I miss football, (here it's known as futbol americano). However Ally and I might have found something to fill the void on Sundays... our new team.. Recre. Thanks to our friend, Fernando, we have been able to go and see a few games. Like many people know, I'm a volleyball player, and futbol isn't really my thing... However, to my credit I did play one season of futbol in the 8th grade... that was about 10 quality games playing defense and running the least amount as possible. I have also watched my fair share of world cups, and attended a few high school futbol games. Either way, I don't like soccer as much... BUT I do like futbol players, and I think that's enough motivation to go to the games. Of course there's Cristiano Ronaldo from Portugal, David Beckham (who doesn't find him attractive?). Then of course to show my support of my current country of residence, Fernando Torres and David Villa.
When you're in Spain, the question is never "what's your sign?", my students always ask me "which is your team?" At first the only teams that came to mind were Real Madrid or Barcelona, because they are pretty famous, but when a little kid dressed in a green and white sweat suit asks you this question... he's expecting you to say "Betis". Either way, my time here in Spain has taught me a lot about soccer... it's not a sport it's more of a religion. They live, eat, sleep and breath soccer.
Today, Ally and I went to see Recre play Betis. For those who aren't up on the latest rivals in Spanish soccer, it's a big deal, because Betis is from Sevilla, and Huelva doesn't really like Sevilla. I don't really remember the reason for the animosity between the two cities, but all I gotta say is increase the peace. But either way, the stadium was packed. It felt like all the men in Huelva showed up to the game and I guess that's better for us. In the stadium is the only time I don't feel like an outsider, usually as a sports fan people find me loud and some even say scary. I often get lots of crazy looks and many people are surprised that my voice is as loud as it is coming from my 5'0'' body. Amongst the crazy Spanish people, I come across as tame. These people chant, do the "wave", jump up and down the whole game, wave their little scarves around. They say more bad words than I do, and there are little tiny kids around. The kids are also saying these words, but I guess if you can't beat them join them...??? I've picked up a few expressions that I would never ever say in front of my mother (luckily she doesn't speak Spanish).
The game was a great game. The atmosphere was intense, everyone had on their colors. The Betis crowd was small but loud. Their green and white was noticeable amongst the sea of blue and white. There were many opportunities and in the end Recre came out on top 1-0 with an amazing goal by someone, I don't remember who... and it was a header... (I always wanted to score a goal like that, but i couldn't risk messing up this beautiful face, so we'll just leave that type of stuff to the professionals. :) When the goal was scored, the stadium went bananas... I went bananas, jumping, yelling, hi-5ing everyone around us... I think I might have scared a few people, but that's all in a days work. It was a great game and it made it even better because our friend Fernando from Granada is a Betis fan and all we have to say to him is "TOMA!!!!"
The soccer games are a way for us to get involved and something to do on our lazy Sundays. But I guess spending 3 hours or so looking at nicely built men, running around after a ball isn't a bad way to pass the time. Heck, I think we have space for a few of them in our piso. So for future reference, if anyone wants to know what my team is... the answer is the one with all the good looking men.
Hope everyone is healthy, happy and not missing us too much.

Besitos,
Ngoc :)

No comments: