Monday, May 25, 2009

The End

With only a couple days left in Huelva it’s hard not to think about all the things I will soon miss about Spain and even Huelva….

1) Above all I will miss the relaxed, leisurely lifestyle I live over here, which consists of doing whatever and whoever (only kidding, of course) whenever I want. You can’t even begin to imagine how relaxed one becomes after a year free of stress, bills, any real work obligations or studying. On the contrary, this year has been full of all the siestas, sangria and sun one could ever ask for. Throw in some serious fiestas and unforgettable adventures and you have my life for the past nine months. Now if only attractive men actually existed in Huelva life would've been perfect

2) As much as I complain about my job, I'm going to miss my work schedule...a grand total of 12 hours a week (10-2 Tuesday-Thursday) I don't think it could get any better. My weekend is longer than my workweek…. just how it should be


3) The concept of Andalucía time, that is to say everything can wait until tomorrow. There is never a rush for anything.....emergencies? please.....it’s Andalucía.....people don’t even know how to run down here. Everything is done at a slower pace. I can't even begin to imagine going home to the hurried, rushed American mentality

4) Cost of living, you’re considered upper-class with a salary of 2,000 Euros a month.... enough said

5) Luxury of traveling.... from riding camels in Morocco to climbing the Eiffel tower in Paris and biking through Barcelona…I will miss hopping on a plane, train or ferry and exploring Europe whenever we feel like it

6) Spanish grannies...being a conscious narcissist I've appreciated the constant reinforcement of my already oversized ego from men routinely breaking their necks every time I walk down the street...for some reason being called beautiful never gets old

Siestas
1euro cafe con leches
Pan tostada
Beautiful backyard beaches
Plaza time
Going out for tapas


However the list of things I'm looking forward to coming home to the states is also quite lucrative

1) First and foremost.... of everything I have missed the most... hands down has been my BED! When my Mom came to visit in December she commented, “what is this? The anti-sex bed? At least I don’t have to worry about anything happening here” I don’t think a less comfortable bed exists…. and CANNOT wait to crawl into a little piece of heaven and finally have my bed back!

2) A shower where sex in the shower is actually a possibility because as it is now in Roque Barcia (our piso) you couldn't even fit two anorexic midgets in that pathetic watering hole that some architect called a shower

3) American men and fashion...I simply cannot appreciate Spanish men...how can you date a guy whose jeans are tighter than yours, has more gel in their hair than your bathroom and sports a bigger purse than you, all shamelessly…. simply unacceptable.

4) My houses...after living in a coat closet for nine months I cannot wait to walk around my house and actually fit comfortably in the kitchen without having to suck in


With only three weeks left in Europe it would be a tragedy to leave without visiting one of the most beautiful places on earth so we decided to take our last European adventure in Greece!! We will be setting sail from Bari, Italy and cruising over to Corfu, Greece. We’ll also visit Athens and Santorini. Fortunately for you, I will not have the time nor energy this summer to blog about that trip so no more making all of you jealous. I hope everyone has enjoyed the blog and we will be back in the states soon, too soon!


Besos
Ally

1 comment:

Nia said...

Juan's mom is by far the funniest granny I've met. It was only for a few hours, but I will miss that woman, 85 with some major tricks up her sleeve.