Monday, May 18, 2009

What's the wedding going to be like?

Hola everyone!!!! No I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth... I've just been lazy as usual or haven't been inspired to really write anything. However, this weekend, Ally and I went to Bollullos to attend a Comunion (I think it's called Confirmation in English) for Meme, one of my students. Let's say I was probably the least religious person there... but it was still cool to be invited. Apparently it's suppose to be super important in Spanish culture.
So we head to Bollullos and hang out with Nia. We go with Concha's family to the event... it was being held at Meme's uncle's vineyard thing. So we enter and everyone is dressed nicely... we knew to expect this and luckily we managed to comb our hair and put on a little makeup before showing up or that would have been incredibly embarassing, as we were the only Americans there. Let me try to explain what we saw... lots of wine barrels and tables set up for a wedding like thing. There were appetizers being passed out waiters. There were also waiters wearing really tight high-waisted pants asking if we wanted some beer. But it was crazy... this all for a 9 year old?????? Anyways, we were then introduced to the family members of Meme... there were tons of them. Try keeping remembering everyone's name and how they are related to each other, but thenames all seem to be the same. It was also besitos central... I don't remember how many cheeks I kissed.
We then sat down to eat, and lets say that the food kept coming, and coming and coming. We reach a point where we thought the zippers on our dresses were going to burst. I really don't understand how the Spanish manage to eat so much but still stay thin... whatever they are doing, I need to do more of... maybe I should step away from the Gomitas. They had a separate menu for the adults and the kids. It was out of control. The desserts were to die for... unfortunately no matter how hard I tried, I failed miserably and couldn't get them done...
Being with Concha was nice, she definitely made sure we didn't feel left out, introducing us to her family, and her family was very nice, and we managed to chat it up with them. I can't imagine what a family of 6 girls and 1 boy would be like... poor poor Miguel. One of the down sides, is that we weren't introduced to any of her available nephews... or any other eligible bachelors in the family... I think the most eligible ones we saw were around the ripe age of 12... we will have to wait on them a little. But I guess, we'll have to hold out for El Rocio and maybe her cute available nephews will decide to join the family festivities.
So after our first Spanish Comunion I've realized that Mercedes and Paco spent a ton of money on a party for their 9 year old daughter, who spent most of the time running around with her friends. I'm trying to remember the most money my parents spent on a party for me... This party probably cost as much as someone's wedding, but either way, when Meme get's married I hope I'm invited because if her comunion is any indication of the fiesta... I can't imagine what her wedding is going to be like.
Now we have gone to one of the most important fiestas in a Spaniards lif'e... we only have a Baptism and Wedding to go to... so if anyone is having one of those anytime in the next two weeks... let us know we are available.
Hope everyone is well and we'll see each other soon!

Besitos,
ngoc :)

No comments: