Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Night Before Christmas

After talking about living in Spain all senior year I can't believe it's now the night before our departure. People always ask me if I'm excited when I tell them I'll be living in Spain for the next year. It would be a gross understatement to say I'm just "excited." I also feel grateful and appreciatve I have this fortunate oppurtunity to live abroad and travel. I feel like a kid the night before Christmas except instead of looking forward to Santa's presents I'm looking forward to a year full of spontaneous travel, eye-opening adventures and new friendships. While studying abroad in Granada, Spain I absolutely fell in love with everything Spanish from the relaxed lifestyle, daily siestas, everyone's friendliness, and of course the best part of Spain... the nightlife!! I don't think anyone knows how to have a better time than a Spaniard. I learned a lot while studying abroad but most importantly I learned that a flight to Paris at 5:55 means 5:55 AM not 5:55 pm. All joking aside, I'm looking forward to meeting people from all around the world and having the oppurtunity to learn about new cultures. Most of all I'm excited to have an opportunity to learn about myself. I don't think any type of education or classroom setting can teach one as much as forcing yourself to leave what is familiar and comfortable and to immerse yourself in a foreign culture where you will face obstacles to overcome. I can't wait to travel the world, dance the nights away and enjoy beautiful beaches from Lagos Portugal to Athens Greece....it's going to be a great year! We hope all our friends make it over for a visit.

un beso,

Allison

No comments: