Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hi, I'm Ngoc... Hi, I'm Ally... and we're addicted to STNHP

The first step of getting over any addiction is admitting it, but I don't really know if I ever want to get over this addiction... what would my life be without "Sin Tetas no hay Paraiso"? (for those great fans, it's better known as STNHP).
When Ally and I first came across this show, we noticed that it looked better made, like it could be something we see on American TV. It just looked more attractive than regular Spanish TV. Little did we know what would happen as we got sucked into this world. In the beginning, it was hard to understand due to the language barrier, and not knowing how to turn the subtitles on the TV didn't help either. With time we became faithful watchers, tuning in every Thursday night at the random time of 10:41 p.m. We got to know the characters a little better, remembering their names and kinda understanding the plot line. But mainly we watched it because of the gorgeous creation that is "El Duque". I guess I'm going to change my statement and say I'm Ngoc, and I'm addicted to looking at "El Duque", and his 5-o'clock shadow amongst his other great qualities. His incredibly toned shoulders and back, as well as those arms...
Sorry, got a little distracted into my "El Duque" world, but this blog isn't about him, it's about how this show has become a part of ally and my life. When the series ended, we so sad because we couldn't see the finale because we were in Italy, luckily we were able to see it online. Now that they are not showing new episodes, we couldn't get our weekly fix of STNHP, so we thought it's be cool to watch the series from the beginning... great idea right?????
So we began with chapter 1, after a long day at work. Both of us seated in front of my tiny mac watching this show online, and you can't even open it on full screen btw. Each episode is about 1.5 hrs more or less, but watching it from the beginning has made things make more sense. Some how we seem to be able to understand all the characters when they speak Spanish but the other people in the street, the people that we interact with everyday are a lot more difficult to understand... I have no clue why. So for about a week we watched one episode a night sometimes staying up to the wee hours of the night, thinking this is a little ridiculous but like true addicts we couldn't say no.

There would be moments when we would have to pause the episode to discuss what was happening, such as how the editing wasn't very good in one section, or how some of the story line was not drawn out enough... we were as serious as a heart attack when discussing such topics. I think we both had at least one moment we were truly angry at editors, or people in charge because they didn't do a good job of explaining something or editing, or styling or whatever. I don't think we've ever been so focused in our lives on anything, but this show. We watch these people on TV and it feels like they are our next door neighbors although they live in some fictional world and they are definitely not the type of people we roll with. We discuss t heir lives as if we've known them forever, and it's slightly sad, but that's what happens when you're addicted to some fictional show.. But if the Duke just by chance wants to stop by for some sugar, Roque Barcia 5, 4A, you are always welcome.
Our nightly STNHP showings were a great way to practice Spanish, but mostly so
see what would happen next in the next episode. It reached a point where it really bothered me that el Duque prefers Cata over Jessi. Yes, Jessi is a prostitute, and she uses men for money, and what you would call "bitchy", but it's like come one she has super long legs, she can hold her own, she's using what she's got. Who doesn't like that? What's so cool about Cata anyways? She can't defend herself, she's selfish, and a little skinny for my taste. I pondered this question for the longest time... wondering why in the world El Duque would pick Cata over Jessi....I was seriously mad at him for choosing Cata over Jessi until I realized... it's a freakin fictional story... this is how it's meant to happen, but the believer in me still thinks there is hope that one day he'll wake up (from the dead) and see that Jessi is the right girl and he needs to drop that Cata girl because she is not good enough for her. He needs a Bonnie to his Clyde not some skinny girl who wants some breast implants. So just in case anyone wanted to know my opinion on this important issue, I'm "Team Jessi"all the way.(btw, she's the red-head, the blonde is the other girl... the one I definitely don't like).
Another problem I have with the show is that sometimes they decide to show El Duque en black briefs... come on man... that is not SEXY.. I repeat not SEXY. Now my list of things that turn me off from him has increaded to 4.. they are as follows:
1. He smokes (A LOT) and this probably leads to the next point.
2. His voice-- like many men I've met, it'd be better if he never talked at all, then it wouldn't ruin the whole mystic. In his case, I would believe that he isn't suffering from a life-threatening condition of emphysema.
3. His satin shirts, that look really cheap and make me think of some pimp but not in a good way. All I really want to say, is take that off, you look better without the shirt anyways.
4. the black briefs... what was the stylist thinking, that person has to be let go, because if you can make a man that good looking look unattractive... then you definitely don't know what you're doing.

As of right now, we have seen all the first season episodes, we have the second season, but we've seen almost half of the episodes... things are getting good. I'm sure we're not the only females in Spain addicted to this show, but we will be the first to admit it. We still have many nights to staring at the screen, and screaming at it for the stupid things that the editors/writers do... or the stupid things that each character does.. thinking somehow it would change the outcome.
On a little side note, I've started reading the book that this series is based off of... and i'm just going to leave it at that. Ciao, Ciao as I go off and dream of the most gorgeous man alive...

Un besito,
Ngoc :)

No comments: