Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Signs that it's time to go home...

We're back in Spain, and it feels great. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see Spain, or see Spanish in my life. Maybe I am becoming more spanish with each day. However, our last leg of our Italian adventure was sure full of great memories... and stories. Most of the time, Ally and I must ask ourselves... what have we done to deserve such luck... weird things always happen to us... why? It's the blonde and brunette combination I think.
Anyways, after leaving Rome behind, we took the train to Florence. Normally we don't have problems with the train, however, we got on the wrong one and instead of arriving there in 1.5 hrs it took us 3.5 hrs and we paid for the fast train... so we should have known it was all going downhill from there. We arrive in Florence, and it's raining... go figure. We arrive at our hostel, which was bad, except for the fact that they made us pay more than we were suppose to because we had to change the reservation. I was too exhausted to argue, but it still makes me angry.
Florence wasn't what I thought it'd be. I guess, it's meant for people who like art and museums and the Renaissance... and we don't really like any of those things. The greatest things we manage to see in Florence was "David". That is an amazing piece of work. We sat there looking at it amazed at how big the sculpture is. We couldn't take a photo of it, but a photo wouldn't do this piece any justice, it must be see in person. It was really breath taking, and I have to say "David" has an incredible body... if only he were real...I guess I can imagine.
Besides David our adventures in Florence involved paying way tooo much for gelato. Once again, we had a Barcelona moment, and paid 10 euros each for ice cream... it was a little ridiculous, and that's how we spent the last of our money. We're just going to blame it on the fact that we couldn't speak the language, but it's a little ridiculous that we spent 20 euros all together on ice cream... when we didn't really have any money to spend.
Also on our way up to Michelangleo's Square, Ally was harassed by a homeless man, that thought that I could understand what he was saying. It's hilarious the things that Ally and I get into.. we were sitting normally on a bus, and a weird guy with a guitar comes on and starts singing, and then pulls out a harmonica. He talks and talks about how his mom is Peruvian and his dad is from Florence, and is making Ally very uncomfortable. I just like how Ally sits there and looks at me to come to her rescue... come on I'm like what 5'0'' on a good day, and I'm going to scare away someone that's harrassing her? I've decided for 2009, ally is going to have to take a self defense class, because i don't get paid enough to be her bodyguard, stylist, and everything else I do. :)
All in all let's just say that I wasn't amazed by Florence, but I think I was more ready to go home to Spain.

Pisa was interesting in that we didn't have a hostel cuz' we flew out at 6:45 the next day, we thought we'd spend the night at the airport. I have never felt so homeless in my life. We walked around Pisa and tried to find something to do... but the only thing to see in Pisa is the tower, and we saw that. We had so much time on our hands, we played cards in a bench in a park, we got attacked by birds as we were trying to eat our favorite meal of bread and cheese... it was great. As the time neared to go to the bus station to get our backpacks, we thought.... um I don't think the airport is open all night, and we tried to figure out what we would do. But first we spent a couple hours in the McDonald's playing cards, and when the police officers came to kick out the homeless guys, I was like, "please don't come over here, and kick us out... we don't have anywhere else to go, and it's cold outside." Luckily they didn't come over to us. We took a 5 minute train to the airport, and when we got there, we found out it does indeed close from 1-4 am, so we had to get out of there, and go who knows where.

However, in the airport we met Trisha, another auxilary who works in Bollullos as well. We met a guy named "Pumpkin". He has a Chinese name, but it was impossible to say, so he said the translation is Pumpkin so that's what we called him. We played cards and hung out until they kicked us out of the airport. Then we all grabbed our stuff and walked back to the center of the city, which was like 15 minutes away from the airport... so we wasted 1.10 on a ticket, which we didn't even need to do. When you're poor 1.10 is a lot of money... In the end, we spent the 3 hrs or so in ttrain station, cold, bored, and unable to sleep. It was a group of Ally, Trisha, and I. Plus our two new friends, Miguel from Cadiz, and Pumpkin from China, but currenlty living in Pisa. Pumpkin and I had lots of time to talk, he is one funny guy, he didn't speak Spanish and it was a little difficult to communicate but when I did manage to communicate he was hilarious. It's one of those things you had to be there for.
When we finally made it back to the airport, and checked in, we had a man down moment, because Pumpkin's visa was expired and he could only travel in italy, he couldn't go to Spain... that was such a sad moment. We all felt really bad, because Pumpkin had went through the whole spending the night at a train station, and everything... for nothing. I thought he was seriously going to cry, I was going to cry for him. We came up with some alternative plans, such as walking, training or even possbily biking, but I guess that wasn't really an appropriate time for jokes.
When we finally got on the flight, Ally and I went straight to work figuring out how we were going to get comfortable cuz' we were going to definitely sleep it out... I did manage to sleep most of the time and when we ended up in Sevilla it was great to finally be back home. We still had a little adventure to try and catch the bus to Huelva, luckily we caught it on time... and then we were finally back at Calle Roque Barcia 5, 4A. I'm never going to say this again, but it was nice to be home.
Although the trip was amazing, I've realized that traveling for long periods of time is not my thing... or maybe I just need better hotels and a remote control luggage thing. I don't know whatever it is, it felt great to be home. From our italian vacation, Ally and I learned, that we're never going to travel in the winter unless we're going to somewhere warm. In the end, it was worth all the almost frost bite moments, but I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon.

Un abrazo,
ngoc :)

No comments: