Monday, April 20, 2009

Life's a Beach


















If you have the tendency to sport the little green monster on your shoulder and/or he easily appears after discovering someone else’s good fortune, I caution you now not to continue reading as your jealously will only heightened after hearing about my leisurely lifestyle with jet setting European weekend adventures sprinkled in every so often. Mind you, my weekend is a bit longer than most, as I only work 2 or 3 days a week. Tough first job. I like to ease myself into the real world. I'm thinking of taking a job next year, which requires me to work 20 hours a week. I gasped too when I saw how many hours it was. When I'm not teaching English, which is the majority of the time, I'm working on my tan under the Spanish sun. Some say I get paid to live in paradise. I call it my life. Anyway you look at it; there isn't much to complain about. That is if lack of mental stimulation isn't a problem for you. Max, this job is calling your name.

After spending many a days on some of the most beautiful beaches Mother Nature has to offer, I felt it necessary to share the beauty of my backyard with my faithful followers. Also, it's just a little fun to get back at all those annoying business majors in college who bragged about their jobs out of college with, won't name any names, but big financial firms that are now bankrupt and or firing faster than you can say crisis. So I guess my year abroad on a post-grad scholarship wasn't such a bad idea after all. How's unemployment and living at home with your parents working out for you? Because Rome, Paris and London were great! Also, there is no feeling I like more than walking barefoot along the beach and feeling the sand between your toes as the waves gently crash against your feet. I have never felt sand so soft in my life. I don't know what you're doing in Seattle still reading...see what you're missing out on!

As I've said many times, before coming to Huelva I had no idea what to expect. Rather than be rational or realistic and think of all the challenges and obstacles that would soon face me in a foreign country, I could only picture myself laying on the beach, soaking up the rays of the Costa Del Luz and enjoying a slight breeze from my Latin Lover fan boy with Margarita in hand (Virgin, of course, because such a sweet soul would never dip into the world of alcohol). Let's be more honest, my max limit for a drink is a euro so poolside margaritas are just slightly out of my schoolteacher stipend. If I had known that money stopped growing on trees when I left home I wouldn't have been nearly as anxious to move out. When I arrived to Huelva, there was no beach in sight, no tall, dark, handsome men and worse yet, people didn't even speak Spanish, they spoke Andaluz! What have I gotten myself into I thought? Such simple tasks as grocery shopping were like mini adventures as my rose tinted glasses started to slide down my nose. Let's just say that the naiveté of life abroad is long gone and I no longer have any stereotypes about life in Spain or Spanish culture. Before I just thought they were lazy now I know they're lazy. I'm no longer sporting those rose tinted sunglasses, reality has set in...work is no fun and while money might not buy happiness, poverty certainly doesn't buy it either! Despite the lack of 0's in my Spanish bank account I am truly enjoying this experience for what it is. Paradise. (can you hear me laughing from Huelva?)

While meeting guys didn't prove to be very hard, making true, genuine friendships with, can I say normal people?, proved to be a whole different story. I never could have imagined how lonely living in a foreign country can be at times while enjoying the comforts and comraderity of my friends and life back home in Seattle. I guess you never know what you have until it's gone. I have traveled extensively through the United States of America and seen more than enough Red States to be able to appreciate the beauty of Mercer Island, where I grew up. I already knew that life on Mercer Island was not normal. When the cofounder of Microsoft is your neighbor and million dollar homes line the street, they are just slight clues that maybe you grew up in a skewed version of reality that most the world never experiences. Despite my culture awareness that I thought I had, upon arrival of Huelva, I didn’t know just how much I should appreciate my fortunate upbringing. The world perspective I have gained from traveling through small Spanish pueblos to some of the biggest European cities has changed the way I look at things. Excuse the cliqueness but it's the truth. Things I use to think were life or death, I am going to save myself some embarrassment by not stating such petty issues, now seem like nothing, knowing there are more people on this earth than those that I think about on a daily basis in my little bubble. There have been so many times where I've been sitting in a plaza (so Spanish, I know) doing nothing but just enjoying the company of whomever I'm with and I think to myself "this is such a different world." No one sits in a plaza in America mainly because we don't have them, but that is beside the point because even if we did, people wouldn't "waste" the time to sit down and just enjoy some rest and relaxation time. After living in a small Spanish town I've just now realized how rushed, hurried and frantic most Americans are. I hope to bring the "Spanish stroll" as I call it back home and not be in such a rush.

At first, I didn’t like Huelva at all. No, that's not true. I hated Huelva and thought it had to win first prize for ugliest city in Spain (which it still might) although my impression has improved considerably since our arrival in the end of September. I would even go out on a limb, on a positive day, and say I have a favorable impression of my new home. Although, not so much can be said for my job, or lack there of. I am on a postgraduate scholarship as a cultural assistant in a bi-lingual high school. My only work requirements are to show up 3 days a week for a grand total of 12 hours....I work from 10-2 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Strenuous schedule, right? While I can't complain from being a workhorse there are times I wish I had more mental stimulation in my day-to-day life. I kid you not, there have been times I have pulled out my GRE or LSAT book (because they're both just SO intriguing that I just can't seem to choose between one or the other) out at a beach side bar and started studying. Best part is, I'm not even going to grad school next year but I still study out of sheer boredom. For all the exaggeration I due this is the frightening truth about the state of my mental boredom. Despite my fortune to have Ms. Math Major Ngoc to help me brush up on my rusty math, its so basic that even she has forgot what y=mx means. Ok, only joking, although we did struggle to answer a question that ay given freshman math student could do in a matter of seconds.

This brings me to the point of this post. Sorry for the Spanish explanation beforehand. What can I say, after living here for 7 months and talking to Spaniards day in and day out I just can't get to the point before going off on every possible tangent beforehand. After having an excessive (too much if you ask me) amount of time with no responsibilities or obligations I have had plenty of time to think and reflect. I realized that I am, like most Americans, very guilty of valuing material possessions over memories. That is to say, in America, or on least Mercer Island, so much emphasis is put on what you look like, what you drive, whom you hang out, what you own, etc and so little on what really matters in your life. Your happiness. It’s all about appearances. After really emerging myself in this pueblo lifestyle where I haven't seen one person toting a ridiculously overpriced handbag or sporting jewelry that is only bought to show off wealth, and the latest designer clothes I really believe the expression is true that "Spaniards live better." Maybe my neighbors in Huelva aren't as rich in terms of money than my neighbors on Mercer Island but there is no doubt in my mind that their life is richer. For example, Spaniards spend hours rather than minutes at lunch enjoying conversation and laughs while American lawyers eat a sandwich on the go and stop for a business lunch wondering how many hours they can bill for it. In Andalucia, it's not abnormal for children to live with their parents into their 30's whereas in America teenagers count the days to their 18 birthday and "freedom." One cannote even compare the difference of value that is put upon family life between the two cultures. I'm embarassed to say I don't even know my nextdoor neighbors names. In Huelva, the neigborhood is like your neighbor. There have been times this year I have sat watching the sunset at Punta Umbria or have been up on the Pier overlooking the ocean without a care in the world and felt ridiculous for sucumbing to the materialistic mindset that is American culture. Their isn't a handbag out their that is worth the memories created on a trip. After living for a year with very little material possessions and no access to dinero to buy anything I’ve truly realized that things don't bring you happiness....it’s moments in life, that can't be bought, which really put a smile on my face. The intangible memories I have from traveling and living here are priceless.


I use to walk by plaza's and see people just sitting and I would think "what are those people doing?" What a waste of time. Plazas are always full of people in Huelva ranging from toddlers to grandparents. While I was always in a hurry to get to my next class or run an errand I never took the time to just sit down a bench and enjoy a conversation. Now that the weather is beautiful, let me repeat BEAUTIFUL, you can't help but spend all day out in the sun. I couldn't be more grateful for this year abroad and all it has taught me. Of course, I feel more independent and confident after fully supporting myself in a foreign country but I also feel like I've gained a different perspective, which will enrich my life. Because in the end, when you die, all you have to take to the grave is your memories. Don't get me wrong, despite my new appreciate for Huelva, I won't be returning, ever again, but I will look back on this year abroad with very, very fond memories.

Besos,
Ally


PS. These are some of my favorite photos from nearby beaches. It's where I spend the majority of my time. Your next thought should be....do I want to look for tickets on expedia or cheaptickets? We always love to have visitors! :)

1 comment:

Nia said...

deep and profound, the memories and making them is the bet part of being here. on another note, de donde vino los fotos preciosos? en serio, todos son de huelva? no me lo creo!