Saturday, April 18, 2009

Nothing to Complain About

As I sit here in this tiny little plaza, that has now become my own park although there isn't much grass... and I think the age limit here is about 4, and everyone else here has brought a kid... maybe I should just borrow someone's kid to make it look like I'm not such a loser sitting here, using my computer (somehow there's internet). However, with the great weather lately, I had to get outside of the piso and so this is where I'm at. There isn't much going on except for children running around, I really hope I don't get pegged by any balls... either way, as I sit here on this BEAUTIFUL day, I thought I should blog about something unrelated to travels.
As we are heading into the homestretch of our Spanish stay, I'm starting to reflect on this experience, think a little of my future, and a lot about home. My life here in Huelva has become quite routine, and pretty much uneventful at times... but then is that any different than my life in Seattle? In college I spent all my time at the library or in E-504 of the Health Science Buildings... my weekends were spent watching movies with my sister or doing something at home. Here many of my weekends are spent traveling to different countries and cities. This is the life... however, obviously I'm missing my family and friends. I'm also missing all the comforts that I took for granted when I was in Seattle. But, it has given me the opportunity to live on my own, discover myself and realize that I am capable of feeding myself, even if my mom is no where in site. Although there have been difficult times, where i asked myself when is June going to come... I don't ever regret coming here. Spain is a great country... and being here has given me the opportunity to travel, surround myself in a language that I love and just be on my own. Who knows when I'll ever have this opportunity again???
Therefore, although we sometimes give Huelva a hard time and make it sound like the worst place in Spain, it's not. Now that the sun has come out, it is very pleasant. Don't get me wrong, I can't see myself turning into a Huelvian or anything like that, but there are nice things about being in this city... the muelle, the small size -- it's easier for me to get around without a car, it's sooo cheap to live here. Although there are many things that could be added to the city... I'm sure many of the people here wouldn't want it to change. They like their city the way it is sooo I guess... whatever floats your boat right???
I guess my point for this blog is to say that with only a few weeks left here in Huelva, I'm attempting to enjoy it although it might just mean going to the park and doing a whole lot of nothing, because once I return back to my real life... there won't be moments to hang out at a plaza and do nothing.... and I'll be begging for a moment like this.
Sending hugs and kisses and some of the sunshine home. Miss you guys!!!!!

Besitos,
Ngoc :)

No comments: