Monday, April 13, 2009

Where's a Personal Driver When You Need One?

Hello everyone... I know I've been MIA for the last month or so... my excuse is... I've been extremely busy with my Spanish life... you know waking up late, having movie marathons, taking 3 walks a day because there's no enough room to talk a walk in our piso. I'm sure you guys understand. However, I'd like to thank Ally for giving me the "honors" of recounting our adventures... maldita... but we all know she's just too lazy to write the blog. But, I will take one for the team, so here it goes.... the adventures of Chica and Ngoc Por el Norte!
To start off... for all those who know me, they know that I'm not a fan of driving, cars and I probably should be the last person to be driving a car. I remember my driver's ed teacher Mr. White telling me, "who the heck would give you a driver's license?" when i told him i passed my driving test... but guess what Mr. White... I have one, and the Spaniards let me rent a car and I drove it across the north of Spain, only managed to hit one garbage can, almost have a head on collision while trying to pass one time, and only did a few illegal manevuors. In my defense that was because Spanish street signs are in a foreign language... that's not my fault I can't read Spanish road signs, that was not in the curiculum at the UW.
Anyways, continuing on, let's start off with the car... let's just say it's not my Honda CRV. It was something called a Citroen Picasso... i should have known we wouldn't get along, I got yelled at in the Picasso museum in Malaga. When the lady said the color was blue.. i was like, cool one of my favorite colors... we walk out to the car and it's not blue... its GLITTERY BLUE, just to draw more attention because we don't do that well enough on our own. It was NOT a small car. Everyone knows I have a thing for bigger cars, with the CRV and everything, but they said that we would get a small car, and this thing was not what I was expecting, either way we get in and I have never been so confused in my life. Nothing was where it was supposed to be... it did not look good when I couldn't figure out how to start the car. Of course the Spanish have to make it difficult for me and make things soooooo fancy I can't comprehend... everyone knows I don't know anything about cars... I only can drive them... barely. Where was Coi when I needed him to walk me through the tough task of getting the car out of park and putting it into drive???? After trying really hard... and using my brain... i couldn't figure it out (cut the brain some slack, it's been on the DL list since I arrived in Spain) Ally called for help and the lady came out to help us. I could see in her eyes, second guessing whether we should have the car or not, but we managed to leave the lot before she could call us back.... and so we were off.
Anyone that has ever driven with me knows.... I'm not a fan of speed and I don't drive fast, and I kinda have a fear for changing lanes on the highway... don't ask me why, I just do... I'm still trying to figure out how to do it correctly... I've been working on it for 6 years, what can I say I'm a slow learner. Either way, when I'm driving in Seattle, on the freeway it's usually 70 mph... when I look at my dashboard and it says 100, I'm freaking out because that's going REALLY fast, I've never gone that fast in my life... there are people behind me tailgating me and looking kinda mad... and then it finally clicks that it's kmph...jaja... i'm not in Seattle, and they drive at 120 kmph on the freeway here... my bad, sorry all spanish drivers I may have flicked off because you were tailgating me... minor misunderstanding.
One good thing about the Spanish roads were that it was easy to understand and we didn't ever get lost... thank Buddha!!! however, I am not down with the roundabout thingies... why there are soooooo many and how they expect us to change our speed from 120 to 80 with only like 10 m between these two speed limits... that I don't understand and there were a few moments where I was not happen with the people that constructed those roads.
Lastly, I have NEVER gotten a speeding ticket in my life and I was sooo concerned about it while driving. I always see these signs that they are controling the area with radars. I spent the whole time trying to figure out where the heck the cameras where, it's usually easy to see in America, but the Spanish are sneaky with their radars... I finally learned where they are today, after my someone pointed it out. I thought maybe they were just scaring people, but yeah can you get a ticket for going to slow??? If so I hope they didn't get me.
Bueno people, this is the first entry of many recounting our trip to the north. The following ones will be more informative about the cities we've visited. Hasta pronto!

Besitos,
ngoc :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ann

http://racingonlinegames.net