Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pamplona...San Sebastian

First off Ngoc, they don't teach you how to read a map in public school so don't hold it against me....and I resent that comment "thinking is hard for me," you know I only have problems with reading the time....get your insults right :) Plus, when you look this good who needs brains...you know you only get one or the other....guess beauty won, can't have it all....god, your gonna miss spending way too much time with me next year!

After Zaragoza we were off to the beautiful San Sebastian but not before stopping in world famous, Pamplona. Even if you don't know a lot about Spain I am sure you have heard of the event "Running with the Bulls," which takes place every July in Pamplona, Spain....but after visiting the city during Semana Santa I think that is the only thing going on in that city all year. The most eventful thing that happened was probably Ngoc's attempt at parallel parking the car in a space big enough for a couple of hummers. No exxaggeration. After a 15 point turn she managed to squeeze our tiny car into the spot. It was a tight squeeze with about six feet of space in the front and back. Despite the frusteration it caused her, I was enjoying the show, laughing on the sidewalk watching her back into the spot at a 90 degree angle. (Ngoc, this is all in good humor). We wondered through the city center for a little and quickly decided there is only one time to visit Pamplona and thats when bulls are running through the streets because not a lot was going on....off to San Sebastian, but not before a verbal lashing from a ninety year old fogie telling Ngoc off for wearing sunglasses....apparently he woke up on the wrong side of the bed...or maybe the wifey lost her mojo a few years back but anyhow he was a mean old man...I left Pamplona just like I entered....laughing out loud.


San Sebastian lived up to its reputation of beauty. Not only were there 2 beaches in the heart of the city center but it was also home to a big, beautiful cathedral. We saw our first Semana Santa procession and excuse the sacreligious comment but after seeing more processions than I ever cared to see, I'm a firm believer that once you have seen one procession you have seen them all. I actually got stuck in the middle of a church servive but after fifteen minutes of Spanish babble I decided to be "that American" and climb over the people for an exit. I loved San Sebastian for the obvious beauty of the city but I think Ngoc loved it because she found an Asian food store. Anyone who knows Ngoc knows how serious she takes her rice noodles so needless to stay that city was a huge success with her. On our first night we took a walk through the city and came across a nice park along the beach. Sitting under the stars with the beach to our right, a lighted palace infront and flower beds surrounding us we both commented on how we are currently "living the life." I never could of imagined I would spend my first year out of college working in Spain and traveling Europe every weekend, but it has turned out to be a great experience--a year of fun, adventure and spontanaety. We didn't know it at the time but our time in San Sebastian was some of our final days with our hair...if we only knew what Leon held in store for us...maybe we wouldn't have stopped there!

Besos
Ally

No comments: