Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why Doesn't Huelva have one of these?

After getting rested in San Sebastian we headed to our next stop Santander, however we just wanted to make one pit stop at a place called Bilbao. I don't remember much of the driving, all I know is that on the way Ally became sick... it wasn't good. One of the bad things about being together all the time is we pass back and forth the same germs. Two weeks ago I suffered from a bad sinus infection when we were headed to Las Fallas, I felt I was seriously going to die... I almost didn't make it to Valencia. However, we still needed to see Bilbao... because there was something there supposedly really famous called the Guggeheim Museum.
When I think of Guggeheim, I think of the building that is to the left as you're walking towards Drumheller fountain on the UW campus... the building where I spent an awful lot of time for organic chem with the boring professor who used colored pens... grrr the memories. As many people are aware, Ally and I are just not art people or museum people in fact... called us uncultured Americans... but we just don't get art. I guess I can see that something looks nice, but I wouldn't die if I didn't see every museum in a city. Either way we had to see the Guggeheim because supposedly it's sooooo cool... and after seeing it my theory still stands... Ally and I are just not museum people. It didn't change my life, I can't even really remember anything that was in it. The outside was okay, but it didn't make me fall in love or anything... in other words it was a little over rated... if that makes me uncultured... I guess I'll take that.
We didn't get to see any other part of Bilbao because sicky over there looked like she was about to die.. I was worried I'd have to get on the phone to call her mom and tell Marcia that I failed in the whole keeping Ally alive and safe in Spain task. So we quickly went back to the car and continued on our way to Santander. Normally Ally was forced to stay up with me so I didn't fall asleep, but because she wasn't feeling well I didn't hold it against her.
Finally we arrived in Santander, and once again, we knew nothing of this city... although our bank here has the same name... is there a correlation???? We met up with our hosts... a group of Brailizians, who were all really nice. We decided to take a little tour of the city, our hosts told us there were only three main things in Santander: the light house, the palace and the beach... unfortunately they were really far apart from each other. To make things worse, the weather was not the best. However, being the great sight seers that we are we sucked it up and went on our way. As we were walking along the beach we spotted some bikes... which turned out to be FREE to use, so we saw Santander by bike.
This was my favorite city because of the view that we had from the lighthouse... it was incredible... when I was there I felt as if I had no problems, I could sit there forever and just look over at the rocks and the water and I would be content.. it was unbelievable. By far the most serene and beautiful place I've seen in Spain. I wished that was my backyard, so I could always go up to it. Although getting up there was a pain in the neck, but once you were there, you couldn't help but smile and just sit and enjoy the view. Once again the photos can't describe the beautiful of the place, but trust me it was amazing. Of course in such places you will see many couples holding hands, kissing... you know the stuff that makes us gag. Chica and I go to all these beautiful places, and they are sooo romantic and when we turn to look at the person that's next to us... we're like "oh, it's you" as if el Duque or Enrique Iglesias would magically appear next to us... I guess a girl can dream right????
The lighthouse was amazing, we then started the descent to go over to the other side to see the palace... we made a pit stop to get some ice cream... a very necessary food item for us. After this I learned, that Chica isn't a multi-tasker... riding a bike and eating ice cream isn't her thing... we're going to have to work on that... but in that moment I thought to myself... I have no complaints about my life.. becuase how many people are traveling Spain and eating ice cream??? (Ignoring the thousands of other tourists around us).
We didn't spend that much time with our hosts because we were both really tired and they were busy with their own schedule, however they seemed very, very nice. But all in all I would recommend people to go see Santander if only to sit at the top of the hill and look at the lighthouse and for one moment be free of all life's problems... la vida es hermosa everyone!!!!

Besitos,
Ngoc :)

No comments: