Friday, October 24, 2008

Be careful what you wish for....

I can´t believe it has already been a month since Ngoc and I have been in Spain. There are days where time has seemed to fly by and other times where I feel like I have already lived here for a year. I´m convinced I have seen the entire population of Huelva, it´s so small you can´t walk outside and not see several people you know. I guess my signature long blonde hair doesn´t help me hide in any crowd either. Unfortunately, Ngoc and I are both quite disappointed with the lack of selection of men here. We always hold out hope some new people might make a mistake and move to Huelva. Trying to summarize our experience into a blog always proves to be difficult because everyday is so eventful and full of stories which words jus´t cant give justice in explaining the events.

Last week was my assigned date to get my NIE which I had been dreading doing all month after hearing about Ngoc´s all day experience. If anyone knows anything about Spain they know Spanairds don´t do anything in a hurry. Spain makes the post office seem like a fast place of business. I arrived at the office of extranjeros before they even opened to secure I wouldn´t have to wait all day. I was shocked to see a line already formed outside and around the building.
When I finally got inside the building the room was packed--standing room only. There was no number system or any type of order--to call it chaos would be an understatement. I was so annoyed with the Spanish government for their "no pasa nada" attitude and inefficient system of distributing these crucial numbers. As I scanned the room I saw an attractive, young man working and thougth to myself "If Im going to spend all day here I better at least have someone easy on the eyes help me.¨ Moreover, I thought he can´t possibly live in Huelva because I´ve been here a month and yet to see any tall, dark, handsome Spain men. To my surprise he immediately pointed to me and called me to his desk. I was worried I had done something wrong because I wasn´t sitting and there were signs all over saying waiters were not to stand. I nervously approached the desk just hoping I could get my NIE in under 6 hours and leave. He started by asking me questions about the nightlife and how I liked Huelva. I guess being a blonde has it perks sometimes, I got to cut about 200 hundred people and be served right away. When he took an extra passport photo and asked for my number I politely informed him the application only requiered 2. I started laughing when I realized what was hppening and just thought "yet another thing that would never happen in America, getting asked out in government building by an employee." I didn´t think I was going to get a date and my NIE but stranger things have already happened to me in Spain. Guess getting my NIE wasn´t as bad as I thought.

Ngoc and I always found ourselves in the most romantic situations in Europe 2 years ago be it sitting infront of the Eifel Tower at night with all the lights flashing, strolling on the boardwalk in Barcelona or watching the sunset on the beaches in Lagos. We would always joke all we needed was a Spanish boyfriend. Aftering being in Spain for a month Ngoc and I have more than a boyfriend...more like a fanclub. Unfortunately, we are yet to meet any normal people. Rather, we seem to attract the wierdest people in Spain. I would consider myself a pretty good liar, actually one of the best--I always come up with excuses on the spot. But in Spain its difficult to tell someone you´re busy when you only work 12 hours a week and see them everyday on the street because you live in a tiny city. Imgaine telling a guy you couldn´t go out because you had a work meeting at 2 on Monday and then seeing him on the street at 2:30. The other night someone asked Ngoc "don´´t you remember me? I honked at you guys on the street" I looked at the guy and thought "you have no idea...that happens about 100 times when we walk down the street" I will be out at night and someone will say "I saw you at the grocery store today"...creepy. We also have to deal with the guys who feel it neccessary to embrace us at discotecas and try and kiss us. Since when was grabbing me and holding my face socially acceptable? If only we had a viedo recorder to record some of our nights out. Pretty sure there has been an influz in the local hospital of neck strains for all the boys who break their neck staring. My favorites are the ones who stop walking to get a longer look. Guess they´ve never seen an American before.

The past month has been fun but very difficult. For all the funny things that have happened or good times there have been more than enough challening situations where I´m forced to deal with uncomfortable situations on my own. I knew this year would be a great oppurtunity for self growth and exploration but I couldn´t have possibly imagined immersing myself in a foreign culture would be like this. Guess the old expression be careful what you wish for is true!

I´m playing my first round match Friday on Haloween at 9. The men at the country club informed me I was going to win but I can´t wear a skirt because its too distracting. Both Carlos Moya and Nadal have played at this country club. It should be a really fun. It would be great to have some fans so if anyone wants an excuse to come to Spain and the beach feel free to visit!

Besos
Allison

No comments: