Monday, October 13, 2008

What are you a "Firecracker"?



After reading Ngoc´s previous post I suggest she go into politics for the amount of spin she put on her thoughts. Let me be the honest one and tell you how settling in Huelva has really been like. Apparently Ngoc and I left all our luck 15,000 miles away in Seattle and our yet to be blessed with any sort of good fortune. Lets start with getting from Madrid to Huelva. Please take into account Ngoc and I were hauling well over 100 pounds of luggage between the 2 of us. We thought our adventure would get easier after rolling our luggage through downtown Madrid, through the subway and over to the bus station. Little did we know we had an 8 hour bus ride ahead of us on a small, cramped, hot bus. Ngoc and I were both very anxious to see our apartment in Huelva and the city we would call home for the next year. Our luck didn't get any better as we opened the door to our new piso (apartment) and found a 1 star piso awaiting us. Motel 8 offers better accomdations. I'm pretty sure the homeless are use to better conditions. The shower didn't have hot water, the sinks didn work, there was only enough gas for a tiny flame on the stove-not enough to even cook with, my bed was broken and barely big enough for a midget and my room was so small I felt like I had to suck in to fit in the room. Needless to say the closet was a disgrace to my wardrode. Worst of all the internet was only good for a maximum of 4 minutes which caused much frustration on the phone. Imagine calling Bank of America 18 times to tell them you are in Spain and need your credit card after already alerting them before leaving the country. Needless to say we were both very disappointed with our new home. The next day I went into Ngocś room and without saying anything we looked at one another and just started laughing. I guess its better to laugh than cry. We both agreed this piso was not livable for 8 months and immediately started searching for new places and our now heappily settled in a much nicer apartment. Unfortunately we are without internet so were stealing internet from a plaza. Imagine sitting on hard, cold cement steps surrounded by flies and unfriendly passerbyers.

I've started work and have officially completed my first week of my 1st job ever. It's only 12 hours a week, 3 days a week...its nice to ease myself into the real world. The job is less than stressful and very different from US schools. Im working in a highschool and the boys are less than appropriate, you can only imagine some of the things they say, little do they know I speak Spanish and understand them. Ngoc and I are hoping to get more private tutoring so we don't feel like we're living in poverty. If only I got a penny for every person who stared at me I'd be a trillionaire. The other night I was out with a friend who hadn´t been to a discoteca with me before. After about 10 minutes to turned to me and said "What are you a freaking FIRECRACKER?!!!" They all stare at you as if they´re waiting for something to happen. Thankfully, Ngoc politely informed her to get use to it it happens everywhere we go.


Let me give you a little background on Huelva. When I found out I would be living here for the next year I cried. A very mature first reaction, I know. I later went on google and saw phrases such as "the neglected city of andalucia" or the "the ugly step sister of Spain" which only provoked more tears. My own previous experience with Huelva is being stuck here on my way to Lagos Portugal. Huelva isn't exactly the most happening place of Spain. There are all of 20 Americans here--all of which our fellow Auxillaries. I'm yet to see another blonde American. Ngoc and I walk down the street and its like they have never seen a blonde in their life, no exaggeration people stop walking and almost break their neck staring. There are NO tourists in Huelva, its not as if they see a lot of foreigners. I don´t understand why they think I´m American in the picture above doesn´t it look like I can fit in with the locals?? Just to give you an idea of how little they know about Americans my students 1) didn know what the U.S was 2) Didn know where America was 3) Didn know what language Americans spoke. Going out at night is even worse because guys feel its neccessary to grab my face which has gotten quite old, actually disgusting. Luckily I have Ngoc as my personal security guard to keep me safe. We're hoping Huelvan's warm up to us and start talking to us rather than staring at us.
Now for good news!! I played tennis today at the local club on red clay which has been the most fun I've had in Spain since my arrival. The men were all very nice and said I could play with the men--"obviosuly, I thought!" haha. before I played one boy said he was going "to give me a lesson" afterwards he ate his words and said I was the best player at the club. Who knew. I'm playing in the tournament at the end of the month and Juan assured me I'd win! Ngoc and I are most excited about the cocktail party afterwards!
Hopefully things continue to get better and we start feeling more at home. I miss everyone back in the states and we'll post more once we have internet and aren't forced to sit amidst flies and stares in a nearby plaza.
Besos
Allison

No comments: