Monday, October 20, 2008

"Too pretty to kill"



Ngoc and I have been in Spain for about a month and it’s about time I had a classic Allison moment and put myself in danger. We were out and about posting signs for English classes when 2 men started cat calling…nothing new. I kept walking but Ngoc went over to the car and started talking to them. She gave them her number and to my surprise they actually called and wanted to get together. Now, of course the normal thing would’ve been to ignore these people and kept walking. However, we agreed to go for a coffee later, harmless, I thought to myself. We will be meeting in a public place with lots of people around, nothing could happen to us. Later that day they come with a car and we were a little skeptical about why we need to drive to coffee when the streets are littered with cafes. As we started driving further and further away from the city I start to feel a little nervous in the backseat of a car with 2 complete strangers who were catcalling earlier. After 15 minutes of driving I noticed we were going over a bridge and far away from anything familiar to us. My fears heightened as I realized how stupid this adventure was. I pictured my face on CNN as the next Natalie Hallwoay, I could just picture the headline….”Naïve American goes missing in Atlantic ocean.” Finally we arrive in a deserted parking lot with nothing but water around. We were officially in the boonies with campo (farmland) surrounding us. Terrified, I opened the door and got out and thought at least the water was a pretty setting to be left. We walked for a little bit and entered a building with security guards and steel bars separating the entrance. The boys gave the guards some money, “great, I thought, they paying them to keep quiet after they dump us in the ocean?” As soon as I walked outside I was pleasantly surprised to see Christopher Columbus’s replica boats which he sailed to America in. It was a beautiful evening with the sun setting in the background right on the ocean. He set sail from a port near Huelva on his adventure to America. How creative I thought, not quite a coffee date but a very fun Sunday afternoon. I proceeded to tell Rafael I was nervous in the car and he responded “How could we kill you? You’re too pretty to kill.” How sweet! Now I can rest assured I’ll be safe in Spain when Ngoc and I walk home alone at 6 or 7 in the morning from a night out. Life in Huelva is getting better and Ngoc and I are making friends and keeping busy with work, English classes, sports and shopping!
Besos
Allison

No comments: