Thursday, October 30, 2008

How we pass the time here.

Hey guys, Ally and I are still alive and well. Huelva is slowly getting better, but we still run into the same problems everyday, especially with the sketchy men… but I guess those are everywhere in the world. We haven’t talked much about work, so I thought I’d say a little bit about how much I actually enjoy teaching, but at the same time how difficult it is. Although I’m in the classroom only three days out of the week, it feels as if I work a lot more than that. The children are incredibly cute and very eager to learn English, just sometimes their enthusiasm overwhelms me. They forget that I’m old and can’t play with them all the time at ever recess break, or that sometimes I’m just too tired. Each day they greet me with “teacher, teacher” and in the afternoon they say “hello” even though they really mean “good bye”. It’s nice to be around the kids because they are so energetic and it makes you want to be the same way. Although I’ve learned that there is no way I will ever be able to do this as a career. I have great respect for all teachers at any level and in any subject, because I do know the amount of work that goes into the job.

Slowly but surely the other teachers at my school are opening up. They are very friendly and do help me practice my Spanish a lot. Although sometimes I wished I could really tell them what I think about their system, because in my opinion it isn’t effective in teaching the students English… but I guess that’s not a part of the job description.

Of all the jobs I’ve ever had, this has been the most mentally exhausting and challenging, I believe I know English but to teach it at such a basic level is very difficult. You have to do something to keep the students interested, but at the same time, the lesson must have a purpose. So I’m going to give myself a point, every time a student asks me “what’s up?” because that’s all they seem to remember. J

Outside of school, my schedule has filled up with volleyball. It’s been such a long time since I’ve played, but it’s nice to be apart of a team again. Although I rarely understand what they’re saying because we weren’t taught volleyball vocabulary in school, it’s nice to be around the sport again. I was asked to run a practice last Thursday, and let’s say I spent most of it speaking in English, however, I guess sports is universal because after demonstrating everyone seemed to get it fine. Because I haven’t played in such a long time, my body has been ridiculously sore and there are a few bruises from diving without knee pads… however, I’m happy to say I have knee pads now, and hopefully the ugly bruises will go away soon.

Another nice thing about Spain right now is the weather, I know that in Seattle it’s probably gloomy and dark… but here in Spain, it’s hot and I have yet to really have to wear a jacket. It’s amazing that it’s almost Halloween and I can still wear dresses and shorts… only in Spain I guess. Although sometimes when it’s really hot, and I’m super lazy, I do miss the Seattle rain.

As always I miss everyone very much, and hopefully will be home soon in December. We are getting internet this week, and will be using our phone more often!!!! I hope life in Seattle is super.

 

Besos,

Ngoc J

No comments: