Sunday, November 9, 2008






After 6 weeks without internet, Ngoc and I finally have internet in our piso! This wouldn't be such an exciting day if getting internet in Spain was easy, but clearly Ono didn't want us to have internet. I'm more than aware that the Spanish dictionary doesn't have the words "fast," "hurry" "quick" or anything related to efficiency, but when you have customers willing to pay you'd think getting service wouldn’t be impossible. After 6 failed attempts at getting internet we are successfully "borrowing" our neighbors internet. Using the internet is even better when it's free :)

As always, so much has happened since my last post. First, it's official, I have a Spanish stalker, actually a few. After telling the infamous Jose Jaime, who calls at least 5 times a day, sends texts and leaves voicemail, I didn't want to talk to him, his persistence and determination is continuous. At least his English attempts provide humor with lines such as "I need you see tonight please talking to me." They get far more pathetic which provide some good laughs for Ngoc and I. While many of the date offers I get sound great, they unfortunately come along with a Spanish guy which just aren't my thing. One guy said "I'm always available for you Allison" to which Ngoc responded "thats pathetic, don't you have a life?" Thank goodness he doesn’t understand English. We now just joke and say "take a number" when we meet someone who’s interested. It would be nice to meet more Spaniards to practice and work on my Spanish with, however, I’m pretty sure I have different motives for spending time together than they do. If anyone is interested in meeting a Spaniard just send me your height, weight and facial preferences and I can forward several on to you! No joke.

I thought teaching tennis was tough this summer....NOTHING could have prepared me for teaching high school boys. While I only work 12 hours a week, I earn every euro I make for the things I put up with. You can only imagine some of the things I hear in the classroom with the high schoolers. To keep this blog PG, all I will say is they make less than appropriate comments and are totally naive to the fact that I understand everything they say. If any of my students read my blog here are some answers to questions you constantly ask 1) No, I don't have a boyfriend 2) No, I'm not interested in you. 3) No you cannot smoke weed in class. I also teach at a private school in the afternoon for young children, proves to test my patient everyday. Although they are very cute, it’s exhausting being in a classroom of 20 6 or 7 year olds yelling in Spanish for hours on end. There are times I ask myself "what did I sign up for" then I remember I'm in Spain and enjoying the experience of a new culture, different lifestyle and being abroad.

We're blessed with beautiful weather, sunny skies and long, sun-lit filled days. All in all, Huelva is turning out to be a nice place to call home. It’s big enough that you have a city feel but small enough you can walk anywhere you want.
Everyone in Spain was very happy Obama won, then again, anyone with 1/2 a brain would be happy. Hopefully positive change for both the U.S. and the world is coming soon! Speaking of coming soon we hope our friends cross the ocean to see us soon!

Besitos
Allison

No comments: