Friday, November 21, 2008

Lessons We've Learned in Huelva




After getting my "diploma" I thought this year would be a year of teaching and I wouldn't learn as much as I've done in the past... however, after about 2 months of Spanish (but mainly Huelvan) life, I've realized that I've learned sooo much from this experience already. Let me just list a few things that I've learned, that the UW never prepared me for... (i kinda want my money back) :)
1. Don't bring more than 12 pairs of shoes and the rest of your closet, because no matter how cute you look, no Spanish guy is going to offer to carry your bags up flights of stairs or from Madrid to Huelva.
2. Just because you got a degree in Spanish doesn't mean you speak Spanish... if you don't use joder, cono or hombre in every other sentence then you aren't really speaking Spanish.
3. From the pictures beautiful beaches and sun makes you think you don't need a jacket... but think again, because even if there's sun... it doesn't mean it's not going to feel like an icebox.
4. Spanish men don't understand the art of being slick. They will call you 5-6 times a day, even after you've told them you don't want to ever see them again... then maybe they'll send you a text just in case you didn't really ignore their previous calls.
5. If you ever want to get anything in Spain, make sure you have an NIE but most of all you can skip all the line waiting... if you just marry a Spaniard.
The list could go on and on, but the point of this blog is to say that although Ally and I came to Spain with enormous expectations, this week we have been feeling a little down. Things have not turned out the way we thought they would... but I guess with good reason. Our first experience with Spain was AMAZING and I doubt we will ever experience anything like that again. However, it's not to say that this experience will not be life changing. I guess for me it was really hard to accept that Huelva is not Granada and never will be. I just wanted to repeat my Granadian experience, and I forgot to really look at where I am and the opportunity I've been given. After a long period of sulking and feeling bad about how we've had such a hard time settling down, Ally and I have decided to suck it up and be grateful that we're here in Spain, and we have each other.
I know that living here for so long will be difficult because we're so far away from home but it is an experience that I know will change me for the better. I hope to emerge from this experience more patient, appreciative of my friends, family and everything that I have in America, but mostly I want to be able to say that I stepped out of my comfort zone and enjoyed it.
So... as Ally and I try to reorganize our thinking, and turn a more positive leaf... you guys can look forward to more stories of our adventures around Huelva as we really put in effort to get to know the city, rather than comparing it to our first love Granada. These stories will be full of pictures because I have vowed to take more pictures because I can't let the camera from my family go to waste.
Por fin, as you guys read this we are both content, motivated and excited for our real adventure to begin. We're sending besos mixed with hi-5's and hope everyone is surviving without us.

Un abrazo fuerte,
Ngoc :)

No comments: