Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving


Well, today is Thanksgiving in America, although you’d never know it in Huelva, it’s just another day out of the year over here. And to be honest, I never really thought much of Thanksgiving when I was in the States either, then again, I relied on food from 7-11 or whatever gas station was open for my Thanksgiving Dinners while playing in National tennis tournaments around America. While I wouldn’t consider Huelva one of Europe’s prettiest cities it beats the boonies in Missouri. I’m accustomed to being away from home for Holidays and it didn't phase me to spend another Thanksgiving separated from my family. A bunch of the other American Auxiliaries all got together tonight and we had a “Thanksgiving Dinner” which was quite fun. For most of the other auxiliaries this was their first Thanksgiving away from home, which prompted several “I miss home, traditional dinner, being with friends/family” type comments. I thought to myself “What are you complaining about? This is great! Try eating fast food, fearful of E. coli lingering in your food in the backseat of your car in the middle of a deserted parking lot in some god-awful part of the US that people refer to as the Midwest.” I felt as if I was eating like a King.







A highlight of the dinner was meeting our new friend, Alex from Los Angeles. All in all the dinner was a lot of fun and I’m glad we had a Thanksgiving with our friends in Huelva.




During dinner we all took some time to say what we were thankful for. These two months have allowed me the time to do a lot of self-reflecting and has opened my eyes to all the wonderful things I have in my life. I’m very thankful for being blessed with the two most wonderful parents any child could eve ask for. It’s very easy to take for granted all you have while in the States because you rarely have moments where you realize what you have. It is not until something is taken away from you or you no longer have that thing that the proper appreciation can be realized. Of everything I have in my life I’m most thankful for the wonderful and close relationship I share with my parents and am very thankful for all the great experiences and memories we have. I know most 22 year olds don’t like living with their parents or have that good of a relationship but that's because very few people are lucky enough to have the selfless, gracious and giving parents that I have been blessed with. After all, how couldn’t you love and be forever thankful to the people who produced a child as beautiful as me?☺ All joking aside I will always be grateful for everything they have provided for me and wouldn't trade anything in the world for the special relationship we have.

Besos
Allison

No comments: