Friday, October 10, 2008

Huelva is no Granada... but what can you do?

Sorry it's been so long since we've last blogged. Getting settled in Huelva has taken longer than anticipated, and our spirits have been a little down about it, but they are slowly picking up. As always I miss everyone and the comforts of home, but we are doing well, and enjoying this experience. I had my first week of official classes and lets say that Spanish kids have a LOT of energy. Every moment of the day is "maestra, maestra" or "teacher, teacher." They are incredibly cute, but at times they do test my patience. Being in the class has been really fun, because the education system in Huelva is nothing like that in the US. Out of everything so far, I've enjoyed work the most, because it has been very productive, and has given me the chance to really use my Spanish. Although I am teaching English, many of my students don't know any English and I have to teach English with Spanish.

Besides work, life has been... uneventful, however things are picking up. We are nearing the end of our second week in Huelva, and although it doesn't seem like that long, we feel as if we've been here forever. Our piso is incredibly cute and it's just Ally and I as always. We have yet to really meet any Spanish friends, however, we hope that will change soon. We will put in more effort. It's been hard to meet people when we were busy trying to settle in. We find the people here a little less open to meeting us than in Granada, but we're going to be hopeful that it will change. On a good note, many people have told me they thought I was from South America, even after hearing me speak Spanish, so I guess that's a compliment about my Spanish. It still needs a lot of work, but I have a long time left.

There's sooooo much to say about what has happened in the last two weeks, but it's all so much and might be too overwhelming. Right now we are in the process of setting up our private tutoring work. We have a total of three students (almost 4) and hope to get more by the end of this month. We're also excited about going to see our Granada friend perform in a concert here in Huelva, as well as supporting the Huelva basketball and soccer team. We will be posting ridiculous pictures of us as soccer fanatics... that's all there is here. :)

I miss dearly my mom's food, and the options in the US, but when I get home that's all I'm bringing back. Also I miss football a lot.

I hope everyone is doing well and soon our internet will be set up at our house again, and the phone option will be possible.

Un abrazo fuerte,
Ngoc :)

No comments: