Monday, October 20, 2008

Attention Spanish men!!!!



What a time we are having here... before I left for Spain, I knew I would get into some type of argument before I left Spain... and last Friday, (10/17/08) was the incident I was anticipating. However, I'll start out with the fun things we did before. For the weekend, Nia, my co-worker came to visit us from Bollullos and I also joined a volleyball team. It has been such a long time since I've really played, my arms are all bruised, and I don't have my knee pads, and we all know what happens when I don't have my knee pads.... But I am very excited to be able to play on this team... i even got my own jersey thing... sooooo exciting. 

Anyways, after my volleyball practice, we all got ready to go see Enrique our friend we had met two years ago in Granada perform in a concert. He's a rapper here, and was doing a show for his new CD. It's funny how small of a world it is because who would have thought he'd be in Huelva, performing a concert when we were there. It was just too perfect. He was VERY surprised to see us there. It turns out not that many people like rap music in Huelva, because the crowd was very small, however, I have to say that is the best music I've heard in Huelva since I've been here. That concert did not do Quilate any justice. 

After the concert, we decided to go Buddha because Ally really likes it and to show Nia what she's not really missing about the Huelvan night life. It was raining, and we managed to get a ride and once we entered we met the men's basketball team, which was exciting. As I was talking to this guy comes up behind me and yells into my ear "Where are you from?" I say America and he says, "why are you here?" I say, "I live here". He says, "why?", and I say "i can't live here?". He says, "yes". Well obviously that made me mad, and I said, "I speak Spanish, if you want to speak Spanish." But he continued talking, actually yelling, and was super close. I couldn't stand it anymore, and told him to back up. He didn't understand why I was mad, besides being told that I couldn't be there, he was invading my personal bubble. So I told him to back out of my bubble, and walked away. He follows me and grabs my elbow to get my attention, and that finally really got me mad, and you know those black rages... when words just come out and you don't know what you're saying... well that's what happened, and the security guy told me to calm down, and Nia had to separate me and the guy. But yeah, luckily Nia was there, or else things could have gotten bad. 

The moral of the story for any Spanish men reading this is... if you want to talk to me... all you have to do is talk. Don't assume I don't speak English... give me some space to actually breath so I can talk, and whatever you do don't yell at me, because I can hear just fine. Lastly... I'm a really nice person just don't grab me, then I won't be very nice. 

Besides that incident, I have managed to stay very calm and collected in Huelva even when people stare at me, as if they've never seen an Asian person before. I don't get made when everything keeps calling me "china, china".  I guess it's a good guess, although I do not look Chinese at all. 

That was our eventful weekend!!!! Hope everyone is well. 

Love, 
Ngoc :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HILARIOUS!!! When I was reading your blog, I could totally picture it in my head. Man I wish I was there. Love ya!